biography_square button_minus button_plus close_artbutton exhibitionarrow_left exhibitionarrow_right follow_button home_sq-artefacetsViewArtefacts home_sq-exhibitionViewExhibitions home_sq-sqaureSupportUs home_sq-uploadUploadArtefact artist dj keyword_3 industry keyword_member mag_glass magglass newburger onthisday_button profileicon randomiser_button reload_button soundcloud twitter uploadbutton zoom_in
Horn & Kelly brick (Half Bat) found in Ravenhead, St Helens.
Sutton, Jan 2021
Credit: Philip Wilkinson
The Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe and Brick Co was in the past located alongside Burtonhead Road, St Helens (near Ravenhead Colliery, Sutton side) and this was the area in which the half bat brick was found.
Historical research and other sources indicates that the origins of the company partnership was established around 1850 by Mr W. Edwards, Mr David Horn and Mr John Kelly, and had premises at the Ravenhead Pottery site (Burtonhead Road) and also in Liverpool.
It appears that Mr Edwards left the partnership around 1857 and the firm then became Horn and Kelly (as on the brickmark) to later become the Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe and Brick Company.
In 1874 the Horn and Kelly partnership ended and Mr Horn continued with the brick making business. The company was registered as the Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe and Brick Co around a year later.
The brick appears to be possibly from the period between 1857 - 1874.
Item added : 21st January 2021
by Philip Wilkinson
If you'd like to leave a comment, please Login. Login