Credit: St Helens Local History & Archives (ref. ST10/37/01)
The first page of a manuscript copy of the St Helens Charter of Incorporation.
A crisis relating to the water supply in Sutton arose following an outbreak of cholera in Peasley Cross and began a chain of events that led to the incorporation of the borough of St Helens in 1868.
A petition for incorporation was compiled at a meeting on 7th February 1865 and sent to London. The Charter of Incorporation that created the borough of St Helens, uniting the four townships of Sutton, Eccleston, Windle and Parr was granted by Her Majesty Queen Victoria and was formally completed on 5th March 1868.